Romney Manor was renamed in the early 17th century following the acquisition by the Earl of Romney. The grounds were once owned by Sam Jefferson II, the great-great-great-grandfather of Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. The building was then titled “Red House”. Evidence suggests this was the original site of Tegereman, the Carib Indian Chief who had a village. In 1834, Lord Romney declared slaves free men, also making the site one of the first estates to emancipate slavery.
The grounds are set in approximately 10 acres, and the property has seen 6 owners since it’s establishment in the 17th century. From crushing of cane by animal power, wind power, and water power, processing was centralized in Basseterre until ceasing to operate in the 1920’s.
Today, following hurricanes, termites, and a variety of other hurdles, Romney Manor triumphs as a popular tourist destination, and valued cultural site on the island. It houses a 350 year old Saman tree, 24ft in diameter and cover roughly 1/2 an acre. Romney Manor is also the proud home of Caribelle Batik.